A Break from Blogging?
Why would a brand allow their blog to go dormant? For many brands, it’s a priority to keep press releases, contributed articles, and social media channels alive. Perhaps referrals have kept the prospect pipeline full and client projects come first. But the main reason? Content Marketing ROI is ambiguous. If marketing teams can’t prove that the blog is working to drive traffic AND conversions to the website, a CMO or senior-level executive will kill the blogging budget.
When is blogging ROI necessary for a business or brand?
Today, blogging goes by many names. Resource Center. Knowledge Base. Library. Article Center. If you visit a competitor’s website and don’t see a blog, take a deeper look. It’s there, but it has a different name.
Follow the Content Marketing ROI Journey:
Measure your own content performance against the following industry statistics:
- Content Marketing gets 3x more leads than paid search ads. CMI 2017
- LinkedIn is the most effective social media platform for delivering content and securing audience engagement. LinkedIn
- Leads, sales, and traffic are the most important KPIs for determining the ROI of content marketing. Databox
- The average conversion rate for a blog is 19%. Databox
When setting up a content marketing initiative, the following questions require answers:
- How many blogs or articles per month does it take to yield the most ROI?
- What’s the minimum length of each post?
- How often do industry leaders publish new content?
To answer these questions, we analyzed several resources. Let’s break them down one by one.
How Often Should You Post New Content?
The Marketing Insider Group recommends 11+ posts a month. Unfortunately, that number is quite unrealistic for most brands. Publishing content is time-consuming and it’s an investment. Unless a brand has the resources for an in-house content team, it’s unlikely they’ll be able to reach 11+ posts per month within budget.
Written in 2017, this Moz post is still relevant today:
“Crafting posts that actually earn attention and amplification and help your conversion funnel goals, whatever those might be, over raw traffic.” – Rand Fishkin, Whiteboard Friday.
How often are content marketing industry leaders publishing new content?
- Content Marketing Institute publishes one post per day
- BuzzSumo publishes 4-5 posts per month
- ProBlogger publishes 4-5 times per month
- Backlinko publishes approximately 2x per month
- GrowandConvert publishes intermittently; sometimes 1x per month, every other month, or 2x per month
After each piece of content is published, use a combination of content promotion tools. Download our free list of content promotion tools:Get the bonus: Content Promotion Tools
In 2021, the question is no longer “Should we invest in content marketing?” – the question is, how can you drive new traffic and leads to your website with new content?